Position: General Manager, One World Observatory
Reports to: President, Legends’ Attractions
Location: New York, NY
Legends designed, built and operates One World Observatory (“OWO)”, an immersive one hour Guest experience at the top of the World Trade Center. OWO has set a new standard in the Observatory experience by incorporating premium dining experiences, technologically advanced programming, and 360 views of Downtown New York and New Jersey. Some of the top experiences at OWO includes the SkyPod, an elevator ride that ascends to the 102 floor in 47 seconds, See Forever Theater, an audio-visual experience to connect with the rhythms of the city, and Sky Portal/City Pulse, both experiences to learn and see more of New York City. As rebirth symbol of New York City, One World Observatory provides an unparalleled guest experience for millions of visitors annually.
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of the operation, including guest and employee satisfaction, financial performance, sales and revenue generation and delivering a return on investment to key stakeholders. Ensures implementation of the level of hospitality associated with Legends with the objective of exceeding guest expectations and increased profits. Holds property leadership team accountable for strategy execution, and guides their individual professional development. The position ensures Legends sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities, when appropriate, to generate demand. The position is actively involved in the New York City entertainment and tourism communities and builds strong relationships with local officials, businesses, and customers. Represents Legends values in all leadership actions.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends and monitors strengths and weakness of competition; explores new business opportunities; develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plans are aligned with Legends business strategies.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with brand business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue generating strategies for property; identifies new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; ensures sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performance operational team that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches team members by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Serves as a passionate brand advocate and ensures that the intent of the brand is pulled through in the guest experience; communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property and brand goals to employees, and the corporate leadership team; serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees on property; champions change; inspires and motivates team to achieve operational excellence; represents brand values in all leadership actions.
Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Employee and Labor Relations
Ensures all employees are treated fairly, and with respect; builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and spending time with employees on the frontlines; makes self available to employees (“open door policy”); ensures pay and benefits are appropriate for labor market; celebrates the success of employees in a public way; works with Human Resources to maximize employee engagement and monitor local labor environment to address issues as needed.
Works with Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; controls labor and capital expenses.
Builds strong rapport with ownership through proactive and on-going communication; keeps owners informed of Legends initiatives and guest experiences; provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data; manages an effective balance between owner interests and Legends brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both; develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership. Capacity to build strong relationships and credibility with government officials and landlord.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and other customers on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experiences at One World Observatory; utilizes guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds leadership team accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the local community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; ensures that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity.
Legends Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Ensures property compliance with legal, safety, operations, labor, and Legends brand product and service standards; conducts both routine and short-notice quality assurance audits with specific departments; holds employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; ensures employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in marketing, communications, business or related field.
- 10+ years of related experience, preferably in management operations, high-volume Sales and marketing management, finance and accounting, or related professional area. Experience in tourism, events and/or high volume attractions a plus.
- Proven leadership experience in a sales environment including coaching, mentoring, hiring, training, and performance management
- Proven experience in integrated marketing planning and execution, including management of multiple marketing channels, as well as agency partners, to meet objectives.
• Ideal candidate will have experience in food & beverage management for a sports, entertainment, resort or restaurant venue.
- Ability to proactively prioritize, manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints and with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of NYC local and regional markets, venue operations, and special events industries.
- Will have strong strategic thinking, analytical, and leadership skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and financial skills a must; understanding of data analysis, research process, ticket sales patterns, and demographic trends.
- Must be creative and resourceful with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Experience managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. Master collaborator. Team player who excels in mediating among multiple divisions and external partners and vendors.
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to balance strong creativity and innovation with practical solutions.
- Experience thriving in a fast paced environment. Must have the ability to adapt to change on a daily basis. Passion for the space required.
- Experience in domestic and international tour & travel/group sales
- Ability to effectively evaluate risks and liabilities of special events and venue rentals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to develop and deliver sound recommendations to senior management
- Organization and planning skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Ability to work both traditional and non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, holidays) as required
- Ability to delegate effectively
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ