Position: Director of Operations
Location: Golden 1 Center
Golden 1 Center – Home of the NBA’s Sacramento Kings is the world’s most technologically advanced and environmentally conscientious arena. The 17,608 seat arena opened in October 2016. It is the first indoor arena to be LEED Platinum Certified ranking it in the top three percent of all high performance buildings in the world. It is the first indoor area to be powered entirely by solar energy. Golden 1 Center is also the only arena in the NBA that’s made a sustainable food sourcing commitment with 90% of the food coming from farms and business within 150 miles of the arena and meets strict quality control standards. The arena has redefined the fan experience with next–generation technology, unparalleled connectivity, stunning design and the best area cuisine in sports. It’s home to the NBA’s largest videoboard spanning nearly the length of the court. And the first to implement 4K ultra HD technology. A next generation app allows visitors to use their phone as a remote control and plug directly into the enhanced features of the arena. Designed to be the first coliseum of the 21st century to feature 5 hanger doors, that can be opened creating the first indoor/outdoor area. Thanks to the 360-degree concourse, visitors have spectacular views down to the event from anywhere on the main floor - the Plaza Level. Beyond Basketball, Golden 1 Center has made a tremendous impact on the Sacramento region. In its first year, it has already played host to some of the biggest entertainment in the world including Sir Paul McCartney, Gwen Stefani, Maroon 5, Kanye West, and Stevie Nicks. The arena created a ripple effect in Sacramento’s economy as over 80 new business have moved downtown near the arena and the value of the surrounding property has increased dramatically since 2014
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of Hospitality marketing the and managing the operation, including guest experience, event innovation, financial performance, sales and revenue generation and delivering a return on investment to key stakeholders. Ensures implementation of the level of hospitality associated with Legends with the objective of exceeding guest expectations and increased profits. Holds property leadership team accountable for strategy execution, and guides their individual professional development. The position ensures Legends sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities, when appropriate, to generate demand. The position is actively involved in the Sacramento, CA entertainment and tourism communities and builds strong relationships with local officials, businesses, and customers. Represents Legends values in all leadership actions.
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends/innovations and monitors strengths and weakness of competition; explores new business opportunities; develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plans are aligned with Legends business strategies.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with brand business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue generating strategies for property; identifies new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; ensures sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performance operational team that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches team members by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Serves as a passionate advocate of Legends and ensures that the intent of the brands we work with are pulled through in the guest experience; communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property and brand goals to employees, and the corporate leadership team; serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees on property; champions change; inspires and motivates team to achieve operational excellence; represents brand values in all leadership actions.
Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Works with Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; controls labor and capital expenses.
Builds strong rapport with ownership through proactive and on-going communication; keeps owners informed of Legends initiatives and guest experiences; provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data; manages an effective balance between owner interests and Legends brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both; develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and other customers on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experiences. Utilizes guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds leadership team accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the local community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; ensures that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity.
Legends Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Ensures property compliance with legal, safety, operations, labor, and Legends brand product and service standards; conducts both routine and short-notice quality assurance audits with specific departments; holds employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; ensures employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.
Primary responsibilities for the Director of Operations are as follows:
- Own the forecast and strategy for the entire operation.
- Determine and manage key KPIs.
- Represent Legends as required, including attendance at important functions, industry events and public meetings.
- Oversee quality control throughout the venue, establishing goals for each department in partnership with division managers.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs and strategies.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the venue.
- Participate in weekly meeting schedule with key team members
- Work with Legends HR department to recruit and hire F&B management team and staff
- Establish and customize service level standards
- Develop and maintain supplier relationships
At Legends, we are looking for a ground-breaking leader with strategic, creative and financial acumen as well as a strong business intellect to take the venue to the next level through our brand strategy, sales and guest experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in hospitality, marketing, communications, business or related field.
- 15+ years of related experience, preferably in hospitality management operations. Experience in sports and entertainment, events and/or high-volume attractions a plus.
- A visionary with a deep understanding of traditional and innovative customer experience and culinary strategies and a proven track record of implementing initiatives that will drive brand awareness and demand.
- Candidate must possess tremendous communication and leadership skills, with the ability to work seamlessly with peers and senior leaders across the business functions.
- A leader with the vision to seek out new strategic partnerships and initiatives to boldly define and articulate the brand value proposition in the market.
- Significant experience building winning teams and culture.
- Proven leadership experience in an operational environment including coaching, mentoring, hiring, training, and performance management.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in food & beverage management for a sports, entertainment, resort or restaurant venue.
- Ability to pro-actively prioritize, manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints and with strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Sacramento local and regional markets, venue operations, and special events industries.
- Will have strong strategic thinking, analytical, and leadership skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be creative and resourceful with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Experience managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. Master collaborator. Team player who excels in mediating among multiple divisions and external partners and vendors.
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to balance strong creativity and innovation with practical solutions.
- Experience thriving in a fast paced environment. Must have the ability to adapt to change on a daily basis. Passion for the space required.
- Ability to effectively evaluate risks and liabilities of special events and venue rentals.
- Ability to develop and deliver sound recommendations to senior management.
- Organization and planning skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work both traditional and non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, holidays) as required.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
Closing Date: 2017-12-31
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ