Position: General Manager, Sky View Observatory
Location: Seattle, WA
As a new addition in our fastest growing business vertical, Legends will be designing, building and operating Sky View Observatory (“SVO”), an innovative guest experience on the 73rd floor of the Columbia Center. Scheduled to open in May 2018, SVO will set a new standard in the observatory experience in Seattle. Breathtaking 360-degree panoramic views including Mt. Rainier, Bellevue, the Cascade Mountains, Mt. Baker, Elliott Bay, the Olympic Mountains, the Space Needle and much more.
Functions as the primary strategic business leader of the property with responsibility for all aspects of marketing the venue and managing the operation, including guest experience, event innovation, financial performance, sales and revenue generation and delivering a return on investment to key stakeholders. Ensures implementation of the level of hospitality associated with Legends with the objective of exceeding guest expectations and increased profits. Holds property leadership team accountable for strategy execution, and guides their individual professional development. The position ensures Legends sales engines are leveraged and initiates independent and proactive sales activities, when appropriate, to generate demand. The position is actively involved in the Seattle entertainment and tourism communities and builds strong relationships with local officials, businesses, and customers. Represents Legends values in all leadership actions.
The GM will oversee a senior staff of seasoned professionals across the entire operation including Operations, Sales & Marketing, Finance and Human Resources. He/she will also own the relationships with influencer relations, internal and external Communications to develop and drive impactful strategies that will grow sales and elevate Sky View Observatory.
Business Strategy Development
Stays current with industry trends/innovations and monitors strengths and weakness of competition; explores new business opportunities; develops business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures property business plans are aligned with Legends business strategies.
Business Strategy Execution
Executes business plans designed to maximize property customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share; ensures that property business plans and employees are aligned with brand business strategies; holds property leadership team accountable for successful delivery of business plans; experiments with new ideas and takes calculated risks to improve guest satisfaction and profitability; evaluates the success of property business strategies to inform future business plan enhancements; continually ensures business plans and actions have a positive impact on property performance.
Sales and Marketing
Works closely with Sales and Marketing team to develop revenue generating strategies for property; identifies new business leads, develops tailored sales approach, and actively pursues leads with Sales and Marketing team; ensures sales and marketing strategy is aligned with brand strategy and is effectively executed against established goals.
Talent Management and Organizational Capability
Creates a cohesive and high-performance operational team that continuously strives for positive results and improvement; coaches team members by providing specific feedback and holds them accountable for performance; creates learning and development opportunities for employees; creates and effectively executes development plans for both direct reports based on their individual strengths, development needs, and career aspirations; ensures all managers are doing the same for their direct reports; identifies resource needs to strengthen property team; creates succession plans for future job openings; actively supports the staffing process; ensures effective work processes, systems and teamwork are in place to maximize individual and overall property performance.
Serves as a passionate brand advocate and ensures that the intent of the brand is pulled through in the guest experience; communicates a clear and consistent message regarding property and brand goals to employees, and the corporate leadership team; serves as a role model by demonstrating exceptional work ethic and service delivery for all employees on property; champions change; inspires and motivates team to achieve operational excellence; represents brand values in all leadership actions.
Business Information Analysis
Reviews business related data such as market share, financial performance, employee engagement, and customer satisfaction; analyzes business information to proactively address changing market conditions, ensure property operates within budgetary guidelines, and achieves profit margin goals; uses business information to identify indicators of product and service successes and opportunities for improvement; integrates business information into business plans.
Works with Revenue Management team to develop effective pricing strategies, balancing seasonality, economy, customer segments, property objectives and customer satisfaction; ensures demand forecasting and sound revenue practices are in place to maximize yield; controls labor and capital expenses.
Builds strong rapport with ownership through proactive and on-going communication; keeps owners informed of Legends initiatives and guest experiences; provides owners with in-depth analysis of property performance, incorporating guest, financial and employee business data; manages an effective balance between owner interests and Legends brand interests and develops solutions that create value for both; develops and effectively promotes ideas for improving property service and profitability to ownership.
Customer and Public Relations Management
Interacts with guests and other customers on a frequent basis to obtain feedback about their experiences at Sky View Observatory; utilizes guest/customer feedback to recognize outstanding employee service performance and improve service delivery; emphasizes and holds leadership team accountable for addressing service failures or potential service failures, and for developing innovative ways to exceed guest expectations; establishes presence in the market by actively promoting an exemplary property/brand image, involving oneself in the local community, and by developing strategic alliances with local officials, businesses, and customers; anticipates needs of large groups or high profile guests in order to deliver flawless service; ensures that products, services, and events attain the appropriate publicity.
Legends Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
Ensures property compliance with legal, safety, operations, labor, and Legends brand product and service standards; conducts both routine and short-notice quality assurance audits with specific departments; holds employees accountable for performing audits on a regular basis; conducts detailed walk-throughs to ensure building, public areas, kitchen, and grounds are well-maintained, safe, and meet or exceed guest expectations; ensures employees are appropriately trained and performing to standard.
Primary responsibilities for the General Manager are as follows:
- Own the forecast and strategy for the entire Sky View Observatory operation.
- Build strong relationship with building ownership through proactive and on-going communication.
- Represent Sky View Observatory as required, including attendance of important functions, industry events and public meetings.
- Oversee quality control throughout Sky View Observatory, establishing goals for each department in partnership with division managers.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long range planning, introduction of new programs and strategies.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of Sky View Observatory.
- Translate strong initial first two years into lasting growth to ensure sustainability.
At Legends, we are looking for a ground-breaking leader with strategic, creative and financial acumen as well as a strong business intellect to take Sky View Observatory to the next level through our brand strategy, sales and guest experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in marketing, communications, business or related field.
- 10+ years of related experience, preferably in management operations, high-volume sales and marketing management, finance and accounting, or related professional area. Experience in tourism, events and/or high volume attractions a plus.
- A visionary with a deep understanding of traditional and innovative sales and marketing strategies and a proven track record of implementing initiatives that will drive brand awareness and demand.
- Candidate must possess tremendous communication and leadership skills, with the ability to work seamlessly with peers and senior leaders across the business functions.
- An executive with the demonstrated ability to align Sky View Observatory internally around critical sales and marketing initiatives to enhance the guest experience.
- A leader with the vision to seek out new strategic partnerships and initiatives to boldly define and articulate the brand value proposition in the market.
- Significant experience building winning integrated sales, marketing and operations teams and culture.
- Proven leadership experience in a sales environment including coaching, mentoring, hiring, training, and performance management.
- Ideal candidate will have experience in food & beverage management for a sports, entertainment, resort or restaurant venue.
- Ability to pro-actively prioritize, manage and complete multiple projects simultaneously within time constraints and with strong attention to detail.
- Knowledge of the Seattle local and regional markets, venue operations, and special events industries.
- Will have strong strategic thinking, analytical, and leadership skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical and financial skills a must; understanding of data analysis, research process, ticket sales patterns, and demographic trends.
- Must be creative and resourceful with excellent negotiation and communication skills.
- Experience managing a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. Master collaborator. Team player who excels in mediating among multiple divisions and external partners and vendors.
- Entrepreneurial, with the ability to balance strong creativity and innovation with practical solutions.
- Experience thriving in a fast paced environment. Must have the ability to adapt to change on a daily basis. Passion for the space required.
- Experience in domestic and international tour & travel/group sales.
- Ability to effectively evaluate risks and liabilities of special events and venue rentals.
- Ability to develop and deliver sound recommendations to senior management.
- Organization and planning skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work both traditional and non-traditional hours (nights, weekends, holidays) as required.
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Extremely limited travel outside of Seattle area.
Click here to see all of our employment opportunities.
Contact the TeamWorkOnline webmaster / FAQ